Thursday, July 13, 2006

Hillary in '08 ? Wellesley Women on the Rise

When people ask me what I studied at M.I.T. and I am in the mood to be a smart ass, I respond, "Wellesley Women and Comparative Beer Analysis." Obviously the most famous Wellesley Woman is Hillary Rodham '69. Today Arianna Huffington blogged on the subject of Senator Clinton's possible presidential candidacy Hillary's Secret Strategy.

Truth be told I really didn't study Wellesley Women all that hard. M.I.T. had and most likely still has an exchange program with Wellesley College. We could take courses at Wellesley and the women could take courses at M.I.T. However, I did not avail myself of this perk until spring semester of my senior year, when my main man, Bubba, and I enrolled in an introductory micro-economics course.

We were the only males in the class. The professor seemed ill at ease with us there, particularly after Bubba, soon to be a graduate of the Sloan School of Management, 'dis-ed' her explanation of linear programming. I had the impression the professor was always looking at us. I took to sitting directly behind a statuesque sophomore and slumping in my seat, using the young lady as a human shield.

Since I had pretty much completed my required engineering studies, I also took a seminar on Environmental Economics. Doubling my class time didn't help though, I did not have girl friend before the semester ended, I was just more well rounded education wise.

The point of this post, however, is not that I didn't find a Wellesley Woman to date that spring, but rather what I have observed about them in the intervening 30 years. They are highly successful. Even here in St. Louis, when a woman is appointed to an important position, like the Federal bench, it is not uncommon to find Wellesley College in her resume. Google has allowed me to check up on my limited number of Wellesley aquaintences:

1. Tall girl from economics class: Former bank executive pursuing a second finance related career.

2. Wellesley freshman I dated my junior year: Real Estate Tycoon and mother of five. (Hmm, I do recall she was avowed heterosexual, I probably should have done a better job of romancing her!)

3. Friend who hung out with us to include slumming with Bubba and I at the dog track: Has her own venture capital firm. (She studied the racing form like it was a business plan or prospectus.)

So my point is, no one should underestimate Senator Clinton. I also would not be surprised if one day a Wellesley Woman is elect to be the POTUS. I just hope she uses her intellect to further her firmly held beliefs rather whatever is politically expedient.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home